Do you find yourself constantly wishing for just a few more hours in the day to help you accomplish everything that needs to be accomplished? In particular, if you are a member of the sandwich generation – those who provide care for both their children and their senior parents , you can quickly become a victim of caregiver burnout from an always growing to-do list. However, the tips provided in this article may very well provide a spot of relief to a very busy schedule.
- Use strategy when planning tasks. Make a plan for regular duties to optimize efficiency. For instance, map out errand-running to plan needed stops in the most efficient manner, and combine duties such as laundry and grocery shopping for your older loved one with your own.
- Stock the car. Store a box of helpful items in the trunk to have available at all times: comfortable walking shoes or boots, a coat or sweater, toiletries, snack foods with a long shelf life – all that you feel might prove useful for the specific circumstances you could find yourself in on any given day.
- Skip urgent care facilities. Urgent care visits can result in hours of lost time spent in the waiting room. Consider calling the doctor instead to obtain a same-day appointment, in particular mid-morning, when the day’s cancelled appointments have not yet been filled.
- Organize paperwork. Keeping copies of all important paperwork together, perhaps in a brightly colored, easily identifiable folder, is essential in the event of an emergency. The documents in the folder should include: power of attorney, list of medications and emergency contacts, advance directive, health care proxy and medical insurance information.
- Keep a positive outlook. Having a few quiet moments the very first thing in the morning to reflect on the things you’re grateful for should go a considerable way towards relieving stress and setting the stage for a more productive and positive day. Repeat as time permits during the day, particularly when feelings are running high.
The very best tip we can suggest is partnering with a professional in-home care agency, like CareOne Senior Care of Southeast Michigan We can assist in more ways than you might realize, including running errands, shopping and meal preparation, light housekeeping, and more! We can help with hands-on personalized care and companionship. Let us take care of the daily tasks so you can spend quality time with your loved one. Contact us to say goodbye to caregiver burnout and rediscover a stress-free life for both yourself and your senior loved one!
CareOne Senior Care
41850 W 11 Mile Rd
Novi, MI 48377
248 308 2777
Serving Southeast Michigan…
Oakland, Livingston, Macomb, Wayne, Washtenaw Counties